Cyprus’s Joint Rescue Coordination Centre (JRCC) has said it received no distress signal from the Global Sumud Flotilla requiring the activation of search and rescue procedures, as opposition party AKEL condemned the interception and called on the government to speak out.
In a statement, the JRCC said the flotilla had never entered Cypriot territorial waters, with all activity taking place in international waters approximately 90 nautical miles from Cyprus. It added that should a distress signal be received, it would respond in accordance with its international obligations.
AKEL condemned what it described as a new Israeli attack on the flotilla, calling on the Christodoulides government to denounce the interception and align itself with the international community in demanding unimpeded humanitarian access to Gaza. The party said Israel had violated every provision of international law throughout what it called an ongoing genocide in Gaza, and accused the government of failing to utter a word condemning what it described as the Netanyahu regime’s actions.
The statements came after activists called for a protest outside the Presidential Palace in Nicosia at 7.00pm, demanding that Cypriot authorities intervene to protect the convoy.
Background
Earlier on Monday, Israeli navy commandos boarded a vessel from the flotilla off the coast of Cyprus, according to video footage circulating online. Israel had warned participants they must “change course and return immediately.” The Global Flotilla said two warships had been spotted surrounding its vessels and that contact had been lost with one ship “which was being harassed by the Israeli military.”
Monday’s interception was the latest in a series of Israeli naval operations against the convoy. The flotilla set out from Italy in April with over 50 boats aiming to break Israel’s naval blockade of Gaza and deliver humanitarian aid. In an earlier illegal interception off Crete on April 30, Israeli forces used drones, communications jamming technology and armed raiding parties to halt vessels in the Mediterranean. Two flotilla leaders — Palestinian activist Saif Abu Keshek and Brazilian activist Thiago Ávila — were taken to Israel, jailed and allegedly tortured, following that operation.
Israel has dismissed the flotilla as a media stunt, saying organisers rejected calls to hand over their aid to Israel or international organisations for legal entry into Gaza through official channels.
Turkey labelled earlier seizures an “act of piracy,” while Spain called them “illegal” and Germany and Italy expressed “grave concern.” Amnesty International called the interceptions “brazen and unlawful.”
Read more:

