The Larnaca District Local Government Organisation (DLGO) has evacuated and sealed the D’LUX club near Larnaca port after declaring the building it occupied extremely dangerous, DLGO president Chatzicharalambous announced at a press briefing on Friday.
The entire building, whose upper floors are unoccupied, has been sealed and fenced off. Chatzicharalambous said parties had been taking place on the premises.
The closure comes as the DLGO presses ahead with a district-wide building safety programme. Across Larnaca district, 889 potentially dangerous structures have been identified: 427 in Larnaca municipality, 313 in community clusters, 80 in Lefkara municipality, 34 in Dromolaxia-Meneou municipality, 23 in Aradippou municipality and 12 in Athienou municipality.
Of 150 buildings sent for visual inspection by private engineers, 100 reports have been returned. Those inspections identified 23 occupied and 40 unoccupied buildings within Larnaca’s urban fabric as at visible risk of collapse.
The DLGO is also moving to evacuate further residential buildings. Following the six-storey Madona Court in Faneromeni — where 40 residents have been told to leave by Saturday — evacuation notices will be issued early next week for a further block of 17 apartments in Chrysopolitissa and four more properties, three in the Agii Anargiri II estate and one in Agios Ioannis. The latter five fall under the KtiZO programme and their residents will be handled by the Ministry of the Interior.

Larnaca municipality social workers are in contact with Madona Court residents, and those without alternative accommodation will be moved to hotels.
Chatzicharalambous said responsibility rests with building owners and called on them to comply with the DLGO’s directives.



Read more:

