By Andreas Bimbishis
Τurkey and South Korea will miss the 30 November deadline for submitting proposals under the European Union’s SAFE defence programme, the European Commission confirmed on Thursday, whilst Cyprus approved a shopping list of €1.2 billion in defence equipment purchases requiring mandatory 15% participation from Cypriot companies.
Commission spokesperson Thomas Regnier confirmed that both countries had submitted formal requests for participation but disclosed: “I can confirm – and I’m not taking a risk by saying this – that for these two countries we will not meet Sunday’s deadline. It is, of course, too late.”
The Cyprus Cabinet approved the equipment purchases on Thursday under the European SAFE programme framework, President Nikos Christodoulides announced during a ceremony at the “Stelios Mavromatis” military camp in Stavrovouni, where green berets were awarded to National Guard personnel.
Cyprus mandates 15% local industry participation in defence contracts
The Cypriot government’s decision includes a Cabinet resolution requiring at least 15% participation from Cypriot companies in any equipment purchases from European Union member states.
The measure applies to Cypriot companies capable of meeting National Guard requirements and forms part of a broader strategy to strengthen the Republic of Cyprus’s deterrence capability.
“There is a very promising Cypriot defence industry, which we look to strengthen even further,” President Christodoulides said in his address at Stavrovouni.
The government is in advanced consultations with the United States regarding opportunities for Cyprus to participate in US defence programmes, according to the president.
In parallel implementation, the defence ministry is upgrading critical military infrastructure in Paphos and Limassol, including the “Andreas Papandreou” air base and the “Evangelos Florakis” naval base at Mari.
Commission confirms Turkey and South Korea miss 30 November deadline
The European Commission reminded member states on Thursday that the deadline for submitting national plans under the SAFE mechanism expires on Saturday. According to Regnier, no files had been received from Turkey or South Korea by Friday.
“On Monday there may be an update on where we stand,” Regnier said, adding that the plans should be “broadly outlined but sufficiently detailed for coordination” between the Commission and member states.
‘The Commission continues to examine both applications, though no progress is expected before completion of the process for EU member states, Regnier noted.
Regarding the United Kingdom and Canada, whose applications are being examined by the EU Council, Regnier stressed that negotiations continue but will not have been completed prior to the deadline.
“Even if it has not been possible to reach an agreement at this time, let’s not forget that SAFE is open by design. Without an agreement, the United Kingdom can participate in up to 35% of SAFE procurement,” Regnier clarified.
He added that negotiations continue with Canada and the Commission hopes to reach an agreement before Sunday.
President Christodoulides emphasised that strengthening the Republic of Cyprus’s deterrence capability depends primarily on enhancing and upgrading human resources. The government is promoting new programmes and deepening cooperation with universities, research centres and private organisations to develop ‘a robust domestic defence industry ecosystem.’
The president also noted that beyond Turkish occupation, the fact that the Republic of Cyprus is located in a region of geostrategic significance and is an EU member state makes strengthening deterrence capability a top government priority “through actions and not words.”

